As a Heavy Equipment Mechanic, you will repair and provide preventative maintenance of diesel and gasoline engines, brake systems, fuel systems, ignition and electrical systems, exhaust systems, suspension systems, hydraulic systems vehicle and body computers. Maintenance and repairs are performed on all types of vehicles including cars, vans, trucks, trailers, and a variety of mobile tools and construction equipment. You will use standard automotive tools, electronic diagnostic equipment, cutting and welding equipment, specialized hydraulic test equipment and will utilize a computer to input work orders, time and related computer tasks.
• Maintaining all company vehicles and equipment on vehicles of varying gross weights.
• Performing work both inside and outside of motor vehicles, special equipment and components, such as: derricks, winches, control valves, cylinders, pumps and motors, transmissions, brake systems, electrical systems, ignition and fuel systems, hydraulic systems, steering and running gear, tires, batteries, starters, generators, alternators, chassis lubrication and repair, emission control systems.
• Diagnosing, maintaining and repairing all company associated equipment including aerial lifts, diggers, trailers, tools, generators etc. In addition to diagnosing repairing, making adjustments, and replacing parts on cars, trucks, and vans.
• Using sophisticated computer test equipment to diagnose vehicle problems, as well as read and follow diagnostic procedures.
• Interfacing with vehicle users regarding assignments and repairs.
• Utilizing Fleet computer systems to determine work assignments, record keeping, time reporting and parts inventory.
• Wearing appropriate safety equipment.
• Following established safety practices and procedures using standard automotive tools and written material.
• Driving all types of company vehicles and operating associated special equipment.
• Performing Occupational Safety/Health Administration (OSHA), American National Standards Institute (ANSI), Emission and State Inspections on company vehicles.
• Must meet required test results for this position in accordance with company policy.
• Must meet safety-related requirements including but not limited to those standards of safety imposed by OSHA, state agencies, manufacturers and/or the company.
• Must have ability to perceive differences in wire and cable colors.
• Must be able to lift, carry and maneuver up to 100 lbs.
• A valid state driver's license is required. May require ability to drive a vehicle with manual gearshift.
• Must meet applicable federal and state standards for operating the size vehicles covered by this job title.
• A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) is required. In Delaware a CLASS A (CDL-A) is required. Must pass DOT physical to qualify for a CDL. You will receive related Company provided DOT training.
• In Delaware, you must possess the following certificates prior to employment.
o Certificate for Inspection
o Certificate for Air Brakes Inspection
• In Washington, DC and Maryland, you must possess the following certificates or obtain them within six months in order to be retained in the job.
o Certificate for Inspection and Emissions
o Certificate for Air Brakes Inspection
o Certificate for Mobile-Air Conditioning Society (MACS) with an assigned (EPA) number
• In Virginia, you must possess an Emission Inspection License and State Safety Inspection License (where required) or obtain them within six months in order to retain the job.
• Must be available to work scheduled tours designated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and/or the needs of the business. Ability to work day, evenings or nightshifts and overtime, weekends and holidays, as the needs of the business necessitate.
• A Security background investigation may be required.
• Five or more years of experience as a mechanic or in another closely related field.
Salary InformationWeekly Rate: $530.00 - $1555.00
Work tours will vary but typically include Monday through Friday from 3:00 PM - 11:00 PM with weekends, evenings and overtime as needed by the business.
- Currently holds valid Class A or B CDL license
**Must obtain Class A or B CDL license with an airbrakes endorsement within six months of hire
Automotive Maintenance Test
Automotive Maintenance SI
Test PreviewTest Previews
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer - and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/2366605-heavy-equipment-mechanic
• Post ID: 150879667 brooklyn